Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spain Series - The Skies

Since my Kansas days when I used to see sunrise and sunset from the hotel window, I have found these two natural phenomena utterly enchanting.  Back on home soil, on the daily commute from the suburbs to the workplace, the delights of seeing sunrise and sunset have eluded me.  On holiday at Spain, I saw the odd sunrise and on many occasions, when travelling on the autovias, gorgeous sunsets.  The palette of each scene was different.  They all had a transient quality when viewed from the car along winding roads: one minute I saw them on the wing mirror, the next minute they seemed to have disappeared. 

Sunrise on the boat from Portsmouth to Santander

Sunset in Andalucia

Sunset at Jaen, Andalucia

Sunset at Laredo, nothern Spain

When at Cadiz, along the coast of southwestern Spain, the purity of the blue sky was spellbiding.  The shade of blue, so light, so brilliant, almost transparent; it uplifted the spirits.  Roll on Spring, when I hope to see blue skies again....