Friday, October 23, 2009

Medical Medleys


This has been a medical week, and it brought me into contact with the medical profession in Kansas City.  The first encounter was with a very charming dentist at Overland Park, Kansas.  Actually, before that, I had to make an emergency treatment appointment. And boy, was the receptionist not friendly. It was a treat.  She later called to advance my appointment by half an hour due to a cancellation, after learning that I was savaged by pain.  Now, the layout of this dental practice is completely different to that in the UK.  All the patients are treated in cubicles opening to a walkway.  So, if your hearing is intact, you can hear the drills next door....  The dental nurse met and greeted me with a huge smile, took an X ray and then summoned the dentist.  In the UK, my experience of a dentist is someone providing a professional service. Here in the US, the dentist who treated me was someone providing a friendly professional service.  I was his patient and he was there to look after me.  He took time to explain to me the options and the treatment plan.  The cost?  $91 for a X Ray and a consultation.  The treatment plan?  $2,100 for root canal and a crown.  Then I went to a pharmacist to get my prescription, and was asked for an ID! Proof of ID just to get some prescription.

My next encounter was with a collection centre where I had to submit a urine sample for drug testing. Here in the US, some employers request employees to undergo a drug test as a pre-employment screening.  So even though I am only here short term, I have to go through the same procedure. The urine sample was collected in a specially designed secure cup and sealed with a tamper resistant tape.  What impressed me most was the one woman operation at this place; she was handling two clients while talking to her manager on the dect phone about her holiday entitlement.  She was particularly relieved to see me because I called her twice to get direction after the satellite navigation system directed me to some distance from the building.  I felt a bit sheepish adding to her workload...



And now, back to flaming autumn.  The trees are beginning to shed their leaves, and the barren look of winter is fast approaching.  I thought I should capture those glorious red leaves before they disappear.