Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reflections


Twelve months ago, in September 2009, I set foot in Kansas for a stint of six months, to work and live there. It was my first introduction to America, and my first exposure to the people and life in Mid West.  Those six months at Kansas made an indeliable mark on my life, and in many ways, changed my views about work, life, and friendship irrevocably. 

As I reflect on my American experience, there were some landmarks and events that are forever etched in my memory.

MCI international airport, Kansas, Missouri, on a wet and cold evening.  This is both a landing and departure point for my various trips between UK and Kansas.  It was to here in February 2010, that I braved the snow storm from Overland Park to the airport, solo, only to find that Chicago O'Hare airport was out of bounds due to snow, and that the flight from Kansas to Chicago would be delayed for at least three hours.  It was my first experience of a flight delay which caused me to miss the last BA flight out of Chicago to London.  What an experience!  It was here too that I spent a lot of hours waiting for my flight home, to be reunited with my family.  I became quite familiar with Gate 37 where I would board the flight to Chicago, and the small Embraer jet that had no room for hand luggage. 

Kansas Chiefs playing Pittsburg Bulls, the game that the Chiefs won, after a long dry season.  To this date I still remember the electric atmosphere, the roar of the crowd, and the friendliness of the fans.  It was such a wonderful introduction to Amerian football, and it made me want to see the Rose Bowl, even though I am a complete novice in any type of ball game.

The campus where I typically spend 10 hours or more a day at work.  At the height of autumn, it was ablaze with reds, crimsons, and oranges, so evocative of the images I have of Fall in New England.  The folk here were friendly and supportive, and have a mastery of the English language that put me to shame.  Here, I learn a number of American expressions, including the one that so powerfully reminds us to take a broader view of things: let's not get down to the weeds. Or was it at the weeds?

Sheraton Hotel at Overland Park Convention Centre.  I got quite attached to this establishment for the spectacular sunrise and sunset that I could see from my room on the 19th floor.  It also had a good size swimming pool that I could exercise every day, practically being the only user of the pool at 6 am.  Next door, at the Convention Centre, there were paintings that depict the vast landscapes found in a big country like America, which I enjoyed.  Most of all, I remember well the many occasions when I had to hack the snow off the windscreen of my rental car, as the undercover car park demanded $14 a day for the benefit of protection from inclement weather.

For a regional art museum, the Nelson-Atkins offered space, light, and quite an impressive collection.  Here, there were no warders reminding visitors to keep away from the paintings, no dos and don'ts experienced at some stuffy museums in Europe.  The open space to the front of the museum, on a summer afternoon in October, was a perfect place to reflect and relax.  I love the shuttlecocks, they are curiously eye catching although the meaning of them is obscure.