Sunday, December 6, 2009

Carousel

Growing up in Hong Kong, I do not recall ever been on a carousel.  I had the opportunity to ride on one today at the small town of Leavenworth, about 42 miles north of Kansas City.  Most of the shops were closed, and it was the carousel accordian music that drew me near the hall.  Mr Jim, the gatekeeper, made an exception, and allowed me on one of the horses.  Yi-pee!  It was a ride and all.



At the gift shop next to the carousel ride, there were all manners of bric-a-brac related to carousels.   The carved horse in the photo here is displayed behind a glass case, whereas the carousel stained glass is for sale.




On the way back to Leawood, the car passed residential areas deep in the buckle of the bible belt - the small town America that I see so much in films.  The Christmas decorations were up, and two of the locals continued with the the carousel theme.  They were a laugh, but I am sure they were put up with the most serious of intent.