Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Reflections

Three more days and I will be home before returning to Kansas in the New Year.  What are the moments that will stay with me and what are the memories that I will cherish?

Undoubtedly, the people at Kansas have made a mark on me.  Most of them are kind, courteous, helpful, and friendly.  They like to engage with people, particularly visitors, and they are welcoming.  It is easy to understand how some foreign visitors have chosen to stay on, once they have been bitten by the American bug. 


Part of the team that I work with - they embody the qualities
that I have come to regard as quintessentially American

There are also places that I have been to and enjoyed, which help to dispel the myth that there is nothing much to see at Kansas.  Or at least that was what the immigration official at Chicago O'Hare airport told me. 


The Spencer Museum at University of Kansas, Lawrence.
An unexpected find, with pieces of modern art that I can understand.


Lawrence, Kansas - a quirky colleage town,
with new age shops that break away from the chain store mould


The Rodeo show at the Kemper Arena.  
It gave me a glimpse of the American cowboy tradition



A first hand experience of what football means to the Americans -
the good naturedness of winning and losing,
the community spirit of enjoying the game together


The Bloch building at the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art -
an architecture statement of space, light, and fluidity


The Nelson Atkins Museum of Art including the sculpture park.
Unquestionably the museum that has the most appealing collection


The Kemper Museum of Art, with an impressive collection
of paintings by three generations of the Wyeths

 
The place where I have met some great people


The Hotel - it makes me realise the true meaning of
 "There is no place like home"

To my beloved who will be waiting for me at the gate to the arrival hall: 

Homeward bound
The heart leapt
Sight of you again