Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Subliminal


This drink, marketed as "life water" is a very smart piece of branding.  The bold type face "0 calories" instantly draws attention, and the moulded shape allows a comfortable wrap of the hand around the bottle - a very clever design.  There is a printed lizard that wraps around the bottle, which adds a touch of intrigue.

This food item, Buddha's Hand, which I saw at Whole Foods, reminded me of the green, closed, variety that I used to eat when I was a young girl in Hong Kong.  I remember the slightly bitter taste, and how it used to be stir fried with sliced beef.  To this day, I remember with fondness the foodstuff that I used to eat when I was growing up, and no longer eat: salt fish with minced pork, braised pig's trotters, pig's ears, the kind of food that is considered exotic or maybe even unpalatable by western taste buds.